Food for Friday: Roasted Butternut Squash, Beetroot, Pecan Nuts and Goat's Cheese Salad


It's been a while since I've shared a recipe in my Food for Friday series, so for my glorious return I'd better post something good. And let me tell ya, this salad is good. If you're anything like me, you're fully enjoying the overload of rich foods that comes with the colder part of the year, but every once in a while you want to eat something light and healthy, amirite? But you're sick of soup, and salads are a summer thing?

Well.

Here I am to help you out. Turns out, salads AREN'T just a summer thing (or was it just me who thought that?). If you throw together some typical winter ingredients, you end up with a totally scrumptious end product aka the one you see above.

What you'll need (for two people):

- one large butternut squash
- one or two beetroots (usually, these are already cooked and sold vacuum sealed)
- an onion (red onion works well)
- a lettuce of your preference, I use lamb's lettuce
- pecan nuts
- goat's cheese or crumbly cream cheese 
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- honey
- salt
- pepper

What to do:

- Peel and cut up your squash in whichever size you prefer. I go by about a 3cm width, one cm thickness. Do the same with the onion. Put the vegetables in an oven dish, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and pop them in an oven preheated at 180°C for about half an hour or until done. 

- Cut up your beetroot, again, whichever size you prefer. I usually make them smaller than the squash because beetroot has a strong taste.

- Arrange your lettuce on a place and throw the roasted pumpkin, beetroot, pecan nuts (you can crumble them a bit if you like), cheese and drizzle with the vinegar, olive oil and honey




Et voila, bon appetit! Seriously so easy, very nutritious, filling, and absolutely yummy to boot.


Something you'd make? Or do you have any winter salad tips to share?

No comments