Beauty: Guerlain terracotta joli teint powder duo, and Givenchy le rouge-a-porter review

If you follow me on twitter, you might picked up that I managed to tear my knee ligament a bit while simply sitting on the couch watching Netflix. Yeah, it's actually kind of amazing in a way, but not the good kind of amazing.

Anyway, that means I have more time to blog because I have to rest my leg. And today I'm showing you two items that were recently sent over for me to review. First up: the Guerlain terracotta joli teint powder duo, which I received in shade no. 03 Natural Brunettes. The product also comes in 00 Light Blondes, 01 Light Brunettes and 02 Natural Blonde. The brunette compacts are warm toned (peachy) while the blonde ones are cool toned (pink), so I would suggest purchasing based on the undertone of your skin rather than haircolour. However, as the product isn't excessively warm toned, I can still manage to make it work for my skintone.

review and swatches: Guerlain terracotta joli teint powder duo bronzer


review and swatches: Guerlain terracotta joli teint powder duo bronzer

The first thing I noticed about this product is that, despite being sent 03, which is the darkest shade, this bronzer was actually a pretty good match for my pale skin. It's not orange or yellow, nor strangely glittery: a classy, subtle bronzer.

review and swatches: Guerlain terracotta joli teint powder duo bronzer
 from left to right: the tan shade, the peachy shade and the two mixed together.

This product is definitely not for tan or darker complexions because the colour would simply not show up, but the terracotta joli teint is a great option for pale babes. This product promises to warm up your complexion in a flattering, natural way if you apply it by swirling your brush around to pick up both colours, and then apply it in a number 3 shape (forehead, cheekbone, jawline) along the sides of your face. That's an OK tip for first time bronzer users, but I prefer to apply my bronzer with a light dusting along my nose + cheekbones, and along my hairline. In other words, the places where the sun would hit your face. Here's what it looks like on me.

review and swatches: Guerlain terracotta joli teint powder duo bronzer

In retrospect I should have applied some more to my nose and cheekbones because the product shows up best along my hairline, but the effect is still really nice. Not orange, but a warm glow. Additionally, the product smells so good! The website says it contains notes of orange blossom, freesia, vanilla and tonka bean, and I don't know how half of those elements smell, but I can tell you that I like it. Fresh and summery. In short, a really lovely upscale bronzer, if you're in the market for one of those! I only discovered bronzers when I started dabbling in contouring, but I definitely think that one nice bronzer is a make up stash must have for those days when you just want glowing skin instead of an intricate eye make up + lipstick look.

Speaking of lipstick, you might have noticed the pretty, healthy, rosy lips I'm rocking above! And that is 100% thanks to the second product I'm showing you today: the Givenchy le rouge-a-porter, which I received in Corail Decolleté. This lipstick/lipbalm hybrid might look innocent and sweet on the lips, but the tube is pretty much the sexiest lipstick tube I've ever seen. Sleek, long, thin, lined with leather and accented with two studs.

review and swatches: Givenchy le rouge-a-porter
review and swatches: Givenchy le rouge-a-porter

I have been obsessed with opaque, matte shades for the best part of the last few years, but this spring is all about sheer colour. And as I've been working on the quality of my skin, I have rediscovered a love for soft, natural make up looks that make the most of what I was born with. I still love a good overdrawn Kylie Jenner pout, but it can also be really nice to just grab a tinted lipbalm and reapply without having to fiddle about with a compact mirror.

review and swatches: Givenchy le rouge-a-porter

And the rouge-a-porter is definitely on a whole different level when it comes to tinted lipbalms. For one, it is supremely buildable. You start off with a lovely layer of smooth, sheer colour, but as the product slowly wears off, it leaves your lips with a pretty, stained look. And if you reapply over the stain, the colour becomes more saturated. All the while keeping your lips soft and hydrated, which I definitely need during these last days of cold, drying winter weather. I also like the texture, which is quite waxy rather than slippery. Thicker formulas always feel more nourishing.

review and swatches: Givenchy le rouge-a-porter

See, this is the type of natural look I've been enjoying lately. No liner or heavy kohl, just my regular base of light coverage foundation, natural drawn brows, some mascara, my new favourite cream blush, and sheer colour on the lips. And voluminous hair, obviously.

Are you a fan of the current trend of glowing skin and sheer lipcolour? :-)

No comments